First United Methodist Church
Mead, Colorado

about us

Our worship services are on Sunday mornings at 9 a.m.  The services are about 55 minutes  long with sermons that are biblically based but always deal with life today, current events, and the spiritual journey,  Dress is casual.  Following the service, everyone is invited downstairs for coffee and refreshments.



Communion is celebrated on the first Sunday of the month.  United Methodists celebrate what is called "open communion."  Regardless of church membership, race, age, economic status, or any other perceived separating condition, everyone is welcome to commune.


              Oldest known photo of the church-  Taken before the 1919 parsonage fire

Some History

The Mead church began as a mission of the United Brethren Church in 1880.  A church was organized by Rev. W. H. McCormick, a circuit rider for the district surrounding Berthoud.   John Thompson of Longmont gave a one-half acre parcel of land, two miles south of current day Mead , for use by the church.  The sum of one dollar was exchanged, under the stipulation that the parcel would return to him if the church no longer needed it.

A church and a two story parsonage were built, all work being done by volunteers.  Many from the Catholic Church helped.  Much of the carpentry work was done by Mr. Harrison Foster and Mr. Beeson.  One Sunday, a group of friends stood in the church yard and were discussing a name for the church.   The land the church stood on was high.  The church could be seen from all directions.  Mr. Foster suggested the name “Mount Zion,” and that’s what it was called.

The first pastor was Rev. Lamb.  Other pastors were the Reverends Zimmerman, Cornell, Wilson, Chapman, Allen Rhen,  Mrs. Dilly (The U.B. Church started ordaining women in 1889), Gilkey, Miller, and Davis.  The first deacons were Deacons Mead, Ben Webb, Joe Woods, and George Pearl.  One of the first social events at the new church was an “Oyster supper.”

When the town of Mead was established, it was decided to move the church to town.  The Mount Zion building was sold to the Catholics (present day Guardian Angels Church) and the parsonage was moved to the location of the current parsonage.  In 1907, proceeds from the sale of the Mount Zion Church were used to help build a new church at the corner of 5th and Palmer.  Rev. Davis was pastor at the time.

On February 13, 1919, the church parsonage burned down and all church records were lost.  The current parsonage was built during the summer of 1919 and pastor J.H. Campell moved in on September 1.

The church has been served by numerous pastors over the years, some full time and some part time.  Two tragedies involving pastors has affected the church.  In 1940, the Rev. C.A. Schlotterbach, and Mrs. Frances Biederman, the church’s lay delegate to district conference, were killed in a head-on auto accident while returning from the conference.  Another pastor, Rev. Felberg had a heart attack while fishing from a boat with his wife at Highland lake, and drowned when he fell in.

Disaster struck the church building in the winter of 1943.  Massive winds destroyed part of the building and roof.  The west windows were shattered and a crack appeared in the wall.  Repairs were made and the church was rededicated on May 2, 1943.

In 1946 the United Brethren Church and the Evangelical Church merged (at the national level) to form the Evangelical United Brethren Church (EUB).  Then again, in the spirit of being ecumenical, the Evangelical United Brethren Church merged with the Methodist Church to become the United Methodist Church.

Today, First United Methodist Church, Mead, is one of 266 United Methodist Church’s in the Rocky Mountain Conference.   We continue to be a diverse and vibrant church, following Christ, growing in faith, and serving our community.

(If you have corrections, or more history for us, contact Mark Heiss at Mlheiss@aol.com)

Website Builder